We all wonder what to expect before a recital, especially if it’s our first one. Here are a few professional tips to get ready for the upcoming Christmas recital!
- Practice, practice, practice! You will feel so much better knowing that you are confident in whatever you are preforming! Repetition is key. It might get “boring” after a while, but making your piece stick in your head is the key to succeeding in your performance.
- Professional Tip: You can even practice in front of your family or friends before hand, to practice in front of an audience. Families and friends are great for opinions and confidence building!
- Drink LOTS of water before a recital. I am a voice mentor, so this is especially important for my students; however, ALL things in your life will go smoother for you if you are hydrated and feeling physically great.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before the recital. Force yourself to go to bed early. This means finish your homework and chores so that you can get to bed earlier than normal. Sleep improves brain function and physical memory!
- Warm up. Do warm-ups before your performances, so that you aren’t working “cold.” This means that your fingers, vocal chords, ears etc. are all warmed-up! Just like before a sporting event, you must make sure that your muscles are warm to perform to the best of your ability.
- RELAX. Take a deep breath and know that the people you are performing in front of an audience that supports and loves you, even if you make a mistake. Just smile and keep going 🙂 That is part of learning! Relax and have fun, and you will do just fine.
ROOTS 2015 Winter Music Recitals will be held the week of December 7-10 at 5:00pm and 6:30pm nightly. Come out and show your support to all of our hard-working and talented students!