The summer camp experience is a rite of passage, but it’s also a necessary growth tool. A survey showed that “Summer camps … are perfect places to help children optimize their psychosocial development,” according to Psychology Today.
There are many benefits to summer camps, and at ROOTS, our camps are themed around music and dance, but their benefits reach far beyond. ROOTS’ camps are specifically designed to help your child:
- Learn how to interact well with others
- Gain creative problem-solving skills
- Develop their God-given gifts
- Think and act for a purpose beyond themselves
- Develop leadership skills and the confidence to perform in public
As you enroll in the camp of your choice, here are 5 ways to get the most from ROOTS Summer Camps experience:
1. Talk to your child about his or her interests, and find out which camps appeal to them.
While they may be a regular music student and play drums, they might be interested in a week of learning hip hop moves and meeting new friends. Or they might want to accelerate their current area of study and dive deep.
Maybe they’re interested in learning songwriting or the process of making a demo and forming a band.
Maybe they’re looking to advance to the next level in dance, or want to get started for the first time.
2. Find out what your child’s goals are for the camp.
While your child might not have “goals” per se for camp, you want to find out how your child defines success or what they want to get from camp. It could be to meet new friends, spend time with existing ones or gain new skills. It could be to just spend a week having fun with no stress of grades and a tight schedule.
3. Enroll in camp to reserve your spot.
Some of our camps have limited space and fill up quickly. If there’s one you have your eye on, it’s better to reserve your spot now then take the chance of it filling up.
4. Tell us about your camper and his/her needs and wishes for the camp.
ROOTS has the unique ability to create original programming, and our mentors want to cater the experience as much as possible to their students. Tell us about what you’d like to see happen during the camp week, and we’ll do our best to make it happen.
5. Talk to you camper each day about his/her experience. Then reinforce at home what your child learns at camp.
Our ultimate goal at ROOTS is to have a front-row seat in watching your child blossom at home, at school and in the community. Know that ROOTS is here to play an integral part in nurturing their God-given gifts, talents and abilities.
Summer Camps provide an accelerated opportunity to pour into kids and help them realize their potential throughout their lives.